The Marian E. Wright Writing Center
- Tutors are highly trained writing tutors from many majors. We don’t just train and hire English majors. All majors can make great writing tutors. If you’re interested in being a tutor, stop by and talk to us.
- Tutors work with undergraduate and graduate students from all disciplines, as well as faculty and staff!
- You don’t have to struggle with writing to use the Writing Center. We work with strong writers as well as those who might find writing difficult. Even professional writers get a second pair of eyes and ears on their work.
- We work with all types of writing including:
- Academic writing
- Resumes and Cover Letters
- Scholarship and graduate school essays
- Personal writing
MYTHS ABOUT WHAT WE DO:
- Edit and fix papers: Sorry, this won't help you become a stronger writer.
WHAT WE DO HELP WITH WRITING:
- The University of Michigan-Flint is as an institution learning. Therefore, the Writing Center is here to help you become a stronger writer and editor for your own work. Here’s how we can help with that:
- Be a sounding board as you bounce ideas around with us
- Offer tips or feedback about outlines, brainstorming, and generating ideas
- Provide feedback on drafts about how it sounds to us as a reader
- Help you take a look at the opening, body content, and conclusion of your paper for organization and flow
- Offer resources and support for research and citations
- Help you notice patterns of errors or awkwardness in grammar and style so you can spot them more easily in your work
- Be a cheerleader or a sounding board for those writing days when things are going well or not so well
TYPES OF TUTORING:
- Face-to-face: 0-5 pages, 25 minutes; 6-10 pages, 55 minutes
- E-Tutoring: Digital feedback using Word comment feature
- Live-Online: Video Chat with a tutor on a shared screen
- 0-4 pages, 25 minutes; 5-9 pages, 55 minutes
- Tutor Chat: For quick questions to help you get back on track, log into a video chat session with a tutor on Monday-Wednesday nights from 5:00-7:00pm.
- Drop-in Tutoring: Mon-Thurs. 12:00-5:00, we’ll have an extra tutor on for drop-in tutoring, taken on a first come first serve basis. However, to make sure you get an appointment, consider making an appointment ahead of time.
EVENTS AND PROGRAMS:
- Creative Writing Group: Writers’ Circle, Wednesday nights, 5:30-7:00p.m.
- Love Stinks Writing Contest: Deadline for submissions Feb. 7th, winners announced Feb. 12th.
- Valentine’s Day Open House: Meet the tutors and enjoy free snacks and activities! Feb. 14th from 12:00-4:00p.m. Open to students, faculty, and staff!
- Scholarship Cram and Pizza: Feb. 15th from 1:00-3:00p.m. Limited to first 20! RSVP
- For more details and to sign-up, visit the homepage of our website: https://www.umflint.edu/writingcenter