Dear Students: NEW--We can now accept Google doc links in your appointment form!
The Writing Center is working remotely to provide e-tutoring services only at this point. (E-tutoring is asynchronous, meaning you won't be able to "talk" live with a tutor. You'll only receive feedback using the comment functions in Word or Google docs. However, you can leave them questions in your paper if you want to.) If you would like your paper tutored, please do the following:
- Make an account if you don’t have one. There is a short, 1 minute video “How to make an account” on our homepage. https://www.umflint.edu/writingcenter
- Make an appointment, there is a short, 1-minute video on how to make an appointment on the home page as well.
Two document options: Word or a Google Doc
- Upload a Word document only, using the "Browse file" option at the bottom of your appointment screen. (No PDF’s or PowerPoints. They don't work for this option.)
- When the tutor is finished providing feedback on your paper using Word comments, they will re-upload your paper to your appointment where you can retrieve it after your appointment time.
- Open your appointment, scroll to the bottom of your appointment page, and you should see another paper attached called "tutored." That's the paper your tutor uploaded with their feedback.
Google Doc option:
- Or, you can provide a link to your Google doc on your appointment form, and make sure you provide a "Sharable link, for anyone who has the link" from the "Shared files" option on the Google docs page so the tutor is able to open it. You can provide the Google link on the last question on the page. Tutors can also tutor PowerPoints through Google docs as well. Here is a quick You-Tube video that shows how to do that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKSgTTPbRBE
- If you use Google docs, you should be able to see the tutor's comments from your Google doc page.
In order to provide as much time as possible for each paper, tutors are not emailing papers or notifications of completion back to students. Check your appointment or Google doc sheet for your paper and feedback. Thank you.
If you have questions, email us at email@example.com or call 810-766-6602. We will be checking voicemail messages twice daily.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.
Writing Center Staff