- Michigan Youth Opportunities Initiative (MYOI): An overview of the services that MYOI provides for participating youth. A document with a list of all MYOI county contacts is also included at the bottom of this page
Connecting with Others Who Have Experienced Foster Care
Physical and Mental Healthcare
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS): UM-Flint's counseling center provides free and confidential counseling as well as accessibility services to UM-Flint students.
- Catholic Charities: Local mental health service provider for people of all backgrounds and religions.
- Genesee Health System: GHS serves people who have Medicaid insurance or are covered by Healthy Michigan, those enrolled in the MI CHILD program, or people who have no insurance and cannot pay for services but meet eligibility requirements.
National Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741 in the US
- Genesee County Health Department: Provides various physical health treatments, immunizations, testing, etc. for Genesee County residents
Clothing, Personal Care Items, etc.
- Foster Closet of Genesee County: The Foster Closet of Genesee County provides FREE items to youth of any age who are active in the foster care system. The Foster Closet carries a wide variety of items, such as clothes, shoes, and personal care items, and their contact information is listed on this page if you would like to access their services.
Foster care specific scholarships, grants, and funding sources
- Education and Training Voucher (ETV): Information about the ETV program in Michigan as well as application materials.
- Applications accepted on a rolling basis year round
- NSORO: Scholarship for students who have experienced foster care. Please see website for addition information regarding eligibility.
- Youth in Transition (YIT): A description of YIT eligibility criteria and what expenses YIT funds may cover for eligible youth.
- Tuition Incentive Program (TIP): An overview of TIP along with a fact sheet that includes eligibility information and a link to the TIP application.
- Note: This application MUST be completed by August of the year that you graduate high school for you to access this funding!
- Fostering Futures Scholarship: Information related to the Fostering Futures Scholarship with a link to the application.
- Note: The 2018-2019 Fostering Futures Scholarship application period is closed for the 2018-2019 school year. Stay tuned for updated information when the 2019-2020 application opens!
- From Foster Care to College: Scholarships & Support That Can Help: Information about state and national scholarship for students who have experienced foster care