Preferred Name Policy

What is a Preferred Name?

You may prefer to go by a name that is different from your legal name. This name will appear on class roster, email display and most unofficial records and documents. The university allows you to do this by setting a preferred name. You must set the preferred name by filling out the Personal Information Update form located in the Registrar's Office on our website under Commonly Used Forms or through your Student Information Systems (SIS) under the Personal Information tab. Some records, such as official transcript, financial aid documents, enrollment verification and paychecks require use of a legal name. Wherever possible, your preferred name will be used.