Applying to UM-Flint as an Undergraduate

UM-Flint is ready to guide you through the international application process. Start by reviewing the steps listed below.  For admission requirements, click here.

The University of Michigan welcomes and supports students without regard to their immigration status. We will continue to admit students in a manner consistent with our non-disclination policy. Once students are admitted, the University of Michigan is committed to fostering an environment in which each student can flourish.

– University of Michigan President, Mark S. Schlissel

DACA Students

Applicants who are currently in the DACA Status (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) will need to apply using the International (Non-U.S. Citizen) Freshman or Transfer application. Select "Non Citizen – Other or No Visa" for your citizenship status. List your citizenship and specify "Other Visa Type" for questions relating to visa status. Since deferred action does not provide an individual with lawful status please complete the rest of the fields. Visit for more information on the application process. 

Other online resources:

U-M students enrolled in the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) considering studying abroad should review the information at this link on the Global Michigan website for latest updates. The most updated information from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services can be found here:

National Immigration Law Center Access to Higher Education Toolkit:

Immigration Policy Center (American Immigration Council) DACA Resource page:

Immigration Policy Center (American Immigration Council) DACA FAQs:

Community College Consortium for Immigrant Education reports on undocumented students and the DREAM Act:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (DACA guidelines and filing process):

White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics


For more questions about DACA, please contact Kimburly Butka at

Application Checklist:

Choose the academic program you’re interested in studying. 


Apply online using SIS (Student Information System). Since UM-Flint has rolling admission, we encourage you to apply at least six months prior to the start of the term you plan to attend.


Log in to your iService account to upload your admission documents. Your login information and instructions are emailed to you within 48 business hours of processing your application. Required documents include:

Official Transcripts
An official transcript, exam result or degree certificate is a verification of your academic record issued in the original language from the original issuing source (i.e. college, university, examining board or secondary school) is required for undergraduate admission. Official documents must arrive to University of Michigan-Flint in the original unopened envelope as issued by the originating institution, with an institutional stamp or signature on the closed envelope flap.

Attested Documents
We understand that many countries issue only one original transcript, exam result or degree certificate. Please do not submit your original copy to University of Michigan-Flint. Instead, request that the issuing institution attest a copy of the document. To request an attested document, send a photocopy (never the original) of the document to the institution that originally issued it. They will verify the photocopy against their records, place the institutional stamp or seal on the photocopy (thereby attesting to its accuracy), put the attested copy into an institutional envelope, and affix their stamp or seal over the envelope closure. The issuing institution can mail the attested copy directly to the International Center or you may deliver the unopened envelope to the office in person.

All documents submitted to University of Michigan-Flint become the property of University of Michigan-Flint and cannot be photocopied or returned.

I-20 Deadlines

I-20s will not be mailed out after the following dates:

  • Fall term:        August 1  
  • Winter term:  December 1
  • Spring term:   April 1
  • Summer term: June 1

Learn about documentation required to enter the United States.

Semester Start Dates
  • Fall 2018:          September 3
  • Winter 2019:     January 7
  • Spring 2019:     May 1
  • Summer 2019:  June 26

You can also print out all the academic calendars here.