Once You Have Arrived
Things can easily seem overwhelming when university life begins, especially for international students. A new country, culture, traditions, and sometimes a new language are major transitions to navigate. Here are some reminders and tips to help things go smoothly once you arrive.
- Let your friends and family know that you arrived safely. A phone call, message, or text will put them at ease.
- Move into your housing and get your items unpacked and in order. This will help you relax. If you need temporary housing, find resources on campus here.
- Attend the International Student Orientation (required for all international students). This will be your first official check-in on campus. Bring all immigration documents with you.
- The University will enroll you in a health insurance plan. If you are enrolled in your own, you may request insurance to be waived. Learn more about insurance requirements here.
- Get registered for classes. We will help you during orientation.
- Attend the many university-sponsored events on campus! Get to know campus life, meet new friends, and explore!
- Keep original immigration documents in a safe and secure location. Instead, make copies and store them in a different place from your original documents.
- Did we mention get out and have fun? Remember, once classes begin, you will be studying, so take advantage of some downtime.
- Go to local grocery stores and shopping centers for all the amenities you will need. Free rides during orientation.
- Stop in the International Center (IC). Whether you have a question or just want to visit and enjoy a cup of coffee or tea, the IC is a great place of support, resource, and friendship.