Professors, research scholars, and short-term scholars may participate in occasional lectures and short-term consultations as long as such activities are approved in advance and in writing by the UM-Flint International Center.

The term occasional embodies the concept of single events rather than an ongoing activity. This also includes authorization to be reimbursed for travel expenses or honorarium.

Eligibility Criteria

Such lectures and consultations must meet the following criteria: Source: 22 CFR § 62.20(g)(1)

 Be directly related to the objectives of your J-1 program at UM-Flint

 Be incidental to your primary program activities

 Not delay the completion date of your J-1 program at UM-Flint

If you fail to obtain a letter authorizing the activity in advance, the UM-Flint International Center may correct SEVIS record for a technical or minor infraction if no more than 120 days have passed since the infraction occurred. Source: 22 CFR § 62.45(c)

Documentation Needed

 A letter from the inviting institution describing the terms and conditions of the offer to lecture or consult, including the duration, number of hours, field or subject, amount of compensation (if any), and description of the activity.

 A letter from your department supervisor at UM-Flint:

  • Confirming that the proposed activity is directly related to your principal activity, is indeed incidental, and will not delay completion of your program at UM-Flint
  • Explaining how the proposed activity would enhance your exchange visitor program at UM-Flint
  • Recommending approval of the activity

 A legible copy of your latest DS-2019. Item #2 on your DS-2019 must list the program sponsor as the University of Michigan-Flint and item #4 must list the exchange visitor category as professor, research scholar, or short-term scholar.

 A legible copy of your latest I-94 card (front side only)

How to Apply for Incidental Employment Authorization

  1. Schedule an appointment with an advisor at the UM-Flint International Center.
  2. Bring the documents listed above to your appointment.
  3. The UM-Flint International Center will review your documentation and determine if you are eligible for incidental employment. If authorized, the UM-Flint International Center will issue a letter authorizing the activity.
  4. You will present the letter as proof that you are allowed to receive pay for your activity. Keep a copy of the UM-Flint International Center authorization letter for your records. The letter will serve as authorization of this activity.