Please take a look at some of the Frequently Asked Questions about the University of Michigan-Flint.

Can I fax my application?

The International Center does not accept faxes of applications or paper applications. All applications must be submitted electronically.

Does the English Language Program prepare me to take the TOEFL or MELAB?

The English Language Program (ELP) is for students with no English proficiency score or a proficiency score below admission requirements. Conditional admission to the University of Michigan-Flint degree programs is possible for qualified students.  In addition, the ELP offers testing, advising, consulting services for academic units, professional development for the staff, and a number of workshops and student services co-sponsored with the International Center (IC).

Testing options available at the University of Michigan-Flint include TOEFL testing.  Students who are already enrolled in ELP are able to take the TOEFEL at no additional charge. Please click here for more information.

Is housing available?

Housing is available to all students of the University of Michigan-Flint. Please click here to find more information about housing and what is available.

How many hours a week will I attend class?

International Students are required to be enrolled full-time for immigration purposes during the Fall or Winter semesters.  Students attending the University for the first time for a Spring or Summer term are also required to be enrolled full-time.


Full-Time: 12 Credit hours


Full-Time: 6-8 Credit Hours depending on the program


Full-Time: 22 Contact Hours

Is health care available to me as a student?

If you are an F-1 or J-1 international student or a J-1 scholar whose Form I-20 or DS-2019 was issued by the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor), you are required to have health insurance coverage for yourself and any F-2 or J-2 dependents while at the University of Michigan. Health insurance coverage is coordinated through the UM-Flint International Center. This section provides information on the UM health insurance requirement and the UM International Student/Scholar Health Insurance (IHI) Plan. More information regarding health insurance is available here.

Where can I see a map of the campus?

You can see a map of the campus here

You can also enjoy a 3-D virtual tour here.

What is the weather like in Flint, Michigan?

Known as “The Great Lakes State,” Michigan has the world’s longest freshwater coastline, sandy beaches, miles and miles of cherry orchards, and even “mountains” for downhill skiing.

Michigan is fortunate to have four distinct seasons: spring, summer, autumn (or fall), and winter. The coldest month is January, with an average high of 29°F/-6°C, and the hottest month is July, with an average high of 83°F/28°C. Many people think our campus is at its best in the fall, when the leaves begin changing colors. But every season has its advantages: boating and biking in the warmer months, skiing and skating when it’s colder.

For more information about our state, please visit www.michigan.org.

Do I have to have an English proficiency score to attend the ELP?

English proficiency scores are not required for admission into the English Language Program.

Will I get University credit for attending the English Language Program?

English Language Program courses are non-credited courses to help teach you English proficiency and prepare you for academic courses. Transcripts are available showing your grades and time spent in the ELP.

What kind of social activities are available to students?

The International Center sponsors numerous Programs & Events on campus throughout the year.  The University also has over 100 student organizations that students will be able to participate in. Connect with 100s of campus organizations on MGAGEMENT now!

What is within walking distance from campus if I don't drive?

Flint is a great city with lots to offer. Please visit www.cityofflint.com for more information.

If you can't find what you are looking for, please contact us.