Partner Institutions

The more you know about what to expect at your host university, the easier you will find it to settle in, and the less likely you will suffer from culture shock when you get there. Even if you are used to traveling and have visited the country before, we advise you to research the universities of which you are interested and the surrounding area. Be sure to verify the program start and end dates as well as how much it will cost to live in the city. Tution will be the be standard rate you pay for in-state or out-of-state. 

Nomination & Application Procedure

Prior to the nomination period or during the early phase of the nomination period, contact the academic coordinator of the program to determine if you are eligible to participate in the program.  

NOMINATION PERIOD and Application Deadlines

If deemed eligible, your name will be provided to the Partner Institution during the nomination period. You are required to complete an application and submit documents all requested documents to the Education Abroad Office by the specifided application deadline.  

Nomination periods and application deadlines is as follows:

  • Fall semester or academic year programs
    • Nomination Period: March 1 - April 1 
    • Application Deadline: April 15
  • Winter semester programs:
    • Nomination period: September 1 - October 1  
    • Application Deadline: October 15

Academic Matters

Learning Agreement

Students who intend to study at a partner university must complete a Learning Agreement with the appropriate academic coordinator. The Learning Agreement is a form that records the courses you intend to take at the partner university. This form is signed by the UM-Flint academic coordinator and sent to the partner university. An advisor or academic coordinator at the partner university will review the Learning Agreement, provide feedback regarding availability of courses, and send the signed Learning Agreement back to you. If a course is not available or approved, other options will be provided.

If you intend to amend your Learning Agreement at any stage, you must inform your academic coordinator as soon as possible.

ECTS Credits

Many of the partner universities in Europe utilize the ECTS grading system. European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) is a standard for comparing the study attainment and performance of students of higher education across the European Union and other collaborating European countries. The ECTS is based on the principle that 60 ECTS credits are equivalent to the workload of a full-time student during one academic year (30 ECTS credits per semester). In general, 1 American Credit = 2.5 ECTS.

The number of ECTS credits you take whilst on exchange is directly related to the amount of UM-Flint credits awarded to you. The academic coordinator at UM-Flint will work with you to ensure you select the best courses that fit your academic plan.

Registration of Course(s) at UM-Flint

When registration for the semester for which you intend to study as an exchange opens, you should register for the appropriate course(s) in SIS. The academic coordinator at UM-Flint will provide instructions on how to register for the appropriate course(s).

As mentioned above, the amount of UM-Flint credits you register for is directly related to the number of ECTS credits you register for at the host university.

Financial Matters

Tuition & Fees

The Exchange Program works on a reciprocal basis which enables UM-Flint students to attend Partner Universities for one to two semesters without having to pay any additional tuition fees at the Partner University. UM-Flint students participating on exchange programs continue to pay tuition and fees to UM-Flint and are considered to be ‘enrolled,’ even though they will not be on campus. This means access to University email, and other online facilities remains available to students whilst they are abroad.

After you register for the course(s) associated with the exchange program, you will be charged tuition and fees which you should pay by the deadline provided by the Office of Student Accounts.

Personal Finances

Living costs will vary depending on the location and university you decide to study at as an exchange student. Typically, you can expect the following expenses for your trip abroad:

  • Round-trip airfare
  • Passport & Visa fees
  • Health Insurance
  • Housing
  • Meals
  • Books
  • Local transportation
  • Personal items
  • Emergency funds

We suggest contacting your bank in the first instance and asking them whether or not you will be able to access your money for free whilst abroad. If you are not able to do this 
you may change banks or open an account in your destination country, particularly if you plan to work as well as study. Some banks require proof of credit before you can open an account.

Financial Aid

Because you will be in ‘enrolled’ status at UM-Flint while abroad, all applicable financial aid that you qualify for will be provided. Please speak to a financial aid advisor to verify.

Other forms of funding support include:

  • University Scholarships
  • Federal Scholarships
    • Gilman
    • Boren Award for International Study

Pay attention to deadlines. It is important to you apply for financial aid, and any other forms of funding in a timely matter.

Health Insurance and the U-M Travel Registry

Health Insurance

Students, faculty and staff from all UM campuses who travel abroad for University-related purposes must have UM Travel Abroad Health Insurance and register in the UM Travel Registry. (University-related purposes may include but are not limited to study, research, internships, service, conferences, presentations, teaching, performances or athletic competitions). Visit www.uhs.umich/tai  for information about Travel Abroad Health Insurance and the UM Travel Registry.

Many partner universities and embassies also require proof of international health insurance at the time of application. Make sure to include proof of enrollment in your application packet(s).

How to Purchase Health Insurance

UM contracts with HTH Worldwide, a leader in international travel health insurance, to provide health insurance coverage. The cost is $1.10/day plus a $5 administrative fee. This rate is subject to change. Visit to purchase health insurance.

U-M Travel Registry

The UM Travel Registry is a secure website that records travel plans and contact information. The Registry is a convenient, one-stop service that supports emergency communications and access to University approved travel abroad health insurance. In accordance with UM’s International Travel Policy, SPG 601.31, University students, faculty, and staff, are required to register their international travel plans when traveling for University-related purposes.

Visit to register your travel.

Travel Visas and Travel Arrangements

Travel Visas

A travel visa is a travel document required by many countries in addition to your passport. It is usually in the form of a stamp or sticker. The visa shows that a person is authorized to enter the territory for which [the visa] was issued, subject to the permission of an immigration official at the time of actual entry.

Visas are obtained from the proper embassy or local consulates of the country to be visited. To determine whether you need a travel visa to travel to your host country, you will need to visit the website of the local embassy or consulate to view visa requirements and visa fees. You will be required to submit all visa requirements via mail, or you may be required to go to the consulate to submit an application in person.

Traveling to Your Host University

It is also your responsibility to arrange travel to your host University. Check the Partner University website for directions and forms of transportation and to determine if they offer an airport or train station pick-up service. Most of our Partners offer some kind of Orientation Program for inbound exchange students so be sure to arrange your travel dates accordingly. You will find this information on the University’s website or you may contact the Partner University for more information. Be prepared to start your exchange program earlier than the official start of term. The orientation program is an important part of the exchange experience, enabling you to make friends and contacts from the moment you arrive. When you arrive at your destination country you will have to pass through immigration control. Make sure you carry these documents in your hand luggage:

  • your acceptance letter/email from the host university
  • passport
  • your visa
  • any other documentation related to immigration