F-1 students are eligible to work on-campus while attending classes. The work does not need to be related to your field of study. You must maintain legal F-1 status while engaging in on-campus employment.

Earn extra money
  • Work experience looks good on resume
  • Meet new people and make friends
  • Develop communication skills and various other skills
  • Learn to manage your time and juggle many projects at once
  • Recommendation letters and personal references for future employment or education
  • You must be enrolled in a full course of study during academic year
  • You may not work more than 20-hours per week on-campus during academic year
  • You may work full-time on-campus during vacation periods (on-campus means work performed on the school's premises, examples: university libraries, laboratories, stores and restaurants in a university owned building)
  • You are not eligible for the U-M work-study program. The work-study program provides jobs for students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay for education expenses. Under the work-study program, a percentage of a student's earnings is paid through federal or state funds, and the remainder is paid by the student's employer.
What to Consider?
  • The pay should be commensurate with the amount of effort involved (some jobs like those at the desks in the libraries pay less but involve little real work, i.e. you could probably catch up on reading while there).
  • Preferably, the job should be one which looks good on resume and provides learning experiences and valuable skills (communication skills, computer skills, etc.)
  • Try to choose a job which might eventually lead to a better job. For example, work as a grader, then go on to become a teaching assistant (TA).
  • It is quite possible for an international student to be hired as a Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) or as a Research Assistant (RA). Both GSIs and RAs generally receive tuition, a stipend and university benefits. You may receive a GSI or RA award either from your department or another department on campus. For most departments, an international student applying for a GSI position must take a test called the International Teaching Assistant English Evaluation, or the ITA Test. If you would like to become a GSI, be sure to ask the department when you should take the ITA test in order to be considered for a teaching assistantship.
Applying for On-Campus Jobs
  • There is no central hiring office for student jobs. You must visit each individual office and ask for information there.
  • Be sure to ask about application deadlines or any required meetings.
Tips for Getting a job
  • Don't be afraid to ask for what you want
  • Have confidence
  • Approach prospective employers
  • Practice answering questions employers might ask
  • Hygiene and attire
U.S Taxes

When you get an on-campus job, you will be required to pay and report taxes on your earnings. You may qualify for some exemptions if you are a citizen of a country which has a tax treaty with the United States. Ask your employer when you are filling out your hiring paperwork and contact the U-M Payroll Office for the forms that you will need to fill out.

Documentation to be completed After Getting a Job

When you get an on-campus job, you will need to complete the following forms:

U-M Student Temporary Employment Form

  • I-9 Form (Employment Eligibility Verification)
  • State and federal withholding allowance certificate (W-4) forms
  • Direct Deposit Authorization Form if you would like to have your paychecks directly deposited into your bank account
  • Social Security Card