STEP 1: MOVE INTO YOUR HOUSING OR TEMPORARY HOUSING
- Let your friends and family know that you arrived safely
STEP 2: CHECK IN AT THE INTERNATIONAL CENTER
- All F-1 international students are required by US immigration law to check in with the International Center on campus
- Bring all your immigration documents with you
STEP 3: SECURE HEALTH INSURANCE
- You’ll be automatically enrolled in the UM-Flint International Student/Scholar health plan upon arrival in the United States
- You may be able to waive this insurance with the correct documentation
- Learn more about insurance requirements here
STEP 4: ATTEND NEW STUDENT WELCOME DAY AND CONVOCATION
Typically held the day before classes begin, this university-wide event is designed to greet incoming new students and officially welcome them as part of the UM-Flint campus community. Convocation marks the beginning of your university experience.
STEP 5: ATTEND THE ORIENTATION SESSION
- All new international students are required to attend the International Center orientation
- Bring your passport and immigration documents with you to orientation
- At orientation, you’ll receive your M-Card (student ID card)
STEP 6: REGISTER FOR CLASSES
- Register for courses online by logging in to your SIS (Student Information System) account
- Student Success Center offers advising for all the students with registration too.
STEP 7: SECURE YOUR DOCUMENTATION
When you are in the Flint area, we do not advise carrying your passport, I-20, and I-94 with you. Instead, keep your original documents in a safe and secure location. Make photocopies of these important documents and store them in a different place from your original documents.