In accordance with federal regulations set forth by the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, this guide contains a summary of consumer information that must be made available to all students at the University of Michigan-Flint.  Each topic listed gives a brief description of the information that must be disclosed and explains how it may be obtained.  If you need assistance obtaining information listed here, contact the Office of Financial Aid (see address below).  All listed addresses end with:

University of Michigan-Flint
Flint, MI 48502

General Information about the University

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

In carrying out their assigned responsibilities, many offices at the University of Michigan-Flint collect and maintain information about students.  Although these records belong to the university, both university policy and federal law accord students a number of rights concerning these records.  The Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) established the rules and regulations regarding access to and disclosure of student records.

To fulfill FERPA requirements, the university has established Policies on Student Records.  These policies outline a student’s rights regarding his/her records, where records about the student may be kept and maintained, what kinds of information are in those records, the conditions under which the student or anyone else may have access to information in those records, and what action a student can take if it is believed that the information in his/her record is inaccurate or that the student’s rights have been compromised.  The policies on student records are on the Registrar's website. For more information or to receive a copy, contact the Office of the Registrar, 266 University Pavilion, Tel: (810) 762-3344.

Copies of the university’s policies on student records and the pertinent federal law, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), are posted on the bulletin board outside the Registrar’s Office, 266 University Pavilion.

Services for Students with Disabilities

For information and services for students with disabilities, contact Disability and Accessibility Support Services, 264 UCEN, (810) 762-3456 or


Student Body Diversity

For information about the diversity of the university student body, contact the Office of Institutional Analysis, 1000 Northbank Center, (810) 762-3327.

Cost of Attending the University

For actual tuition and fee charges contact:
Cashiers/Student Accounts
261 University Pavilion
(810) 762-3490
Student Accounts Website

For estimated tuition and fees, books and supplies, room and board, and personal/miscellaneous expenses contact:
Office of Financial Aid
277 University Pavilion
(810) 762-3444
Cost Calculator on the Financial Aid Website

Refund Policy

The university has a tuition refund policy that stipulates the amount of tuition and fees that are refunded to a student who drops one or more courses, or withdraws from all classes during a term.  See Refund Procedures.  In addition, certain refund policies may apply to out-of-state distance education students.  See State Authorization and click on your state.

Withdrawal Procedures

Students who are withdrawing from all classes at the university must notify the Registrar’s Office by following specific withdrawal procedures posted on the Disenrollment/Withdrawal page.

Repayment Policy (Return of Title IV Aid)

The federal government mandates that students who withdraw from all classes may only keep the financial aid (federal Title IV grant and loan assistance) they have “earned” up to the time of withdrawal.  Funds that were disbursed in excess of the earned amount must be returned by the university and/or the student to the federal government.  The repayment policy is available on the Disenrolling from the University page.

Descriptions of Academic Programs

Information on the university’s academic programs and degree offerings is available from the various schools/colleges and admitting offices (Undergraduate Admissions, Graduate Programs).  See Academic Programs.


Information on the university’s faculty and instructional personnel is available online in the Catalog's Campus Directory.

Course Schedule

The course schedule may be found on the Registrar's website.

Accreditation Information

The University of Michigan-Flint is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604-1413, (800) 621-7440.  Students may review copies of documents regarding entities that accredit, license, or approve the institution and its programs.  Contact the Office of Institutional Analysis, 200 University Pavilion, (810) 762-3327, or visit Academic Accreditations.

Transfer Credit Policy

Click here to review the transfer credit policy.

Copyright Infringement Policies

Information about the university’s policies related to the use of copyright material, including peer-to-peer file sharing, may be found in the ITS document on HEOA Copyright Compliance Information. 

Information on Student Financial Assistance

Contact the Office of Financial Aid with questions regarding financial aid or related topics.  If you need assistance or would like a paper copy of any financial aid information, please contact:

Office of Financial Aid
277 University Pavilion
Tel: (810) 762-3444
Fax: (810) 766-6757

Most information on student financial assistance is available in Required Reading, a publication of Financial Aid.

Related Links

Rights and Responsibilities of Aid Recipients

See Required Reading on the Financial Aid website.

  • Continued Eligibility for Aid
  • Satisfactory Academic Progress - This is the term used to denote a student’s successful completion of course work toward a certificate or degree.  Students must maintain specific academic progress requirements to be eligible for financial aid. Information about Satisfactory Academic Progress can be found within the 2017-18 Required Reading document.
  • Method and Frequency of Disbursements - Financial aid is disbursed (released) to students in different ways depending on the type of aid and other factors. Information about Method and Frequency of Disbursements can be found within the 2015-16 Required Reading document.
  • Terms and Conditions of Financial Aid Employment – For information on Work-Study employment.
    • Terms of Student Loans, Including Necessity of Repayment and Sample Repayment Schedule - For information on loans and loan repayment, students are asked to contact the Office of Financial Aid.
    • For Terms/Conditions of Deferment or Cancellation - See Loan Consolidation.  Students may be eligible to receive deferment or cancellation of loans for volunteer service such as Peace Corps, Armed Services, etc.

Scholarship Fraud

According to the Federal Trade Commission, perpetrators of financial aid fraud often use the following lines to sell their scholarship services; students should avoid any scholarship service or website that claims the following:

"This scholarship is guaranteed or your money back.”
"You can’t get this information anywhere else.”
"I just need your credit card or bank account number to hold this scholarship.”
"We’ll do all the work.”
“This scholarship will cost some money.”
“You’ve been selected by a ‘national foundation’ to receive a scholarship” or “You’re a finalist” in a contest you never entered.

If you believe you have been the victim of scholarship fraud, wish to file a complaint, or want more information, call 1 (877) FTC-HELP or see  On November 5, 2000, Congress passed the College Scholarship Fraud Prevention Act to enhance protection against fraud in student financial assistance by establishing stricter sentencing guidelines for criminal financial aid fraud.

Student Outcomes

Graduation and Retention Rates

The University of Michigan-Flint graduation rate after six years for the freshman class entering in Fall 2004 is 38.80%.  This is the rate for degree-seeking full-time undergraduates who have graduated from their programs within 150% of the normal time for graduation.  Graduation and retention rates are published on the Office of Institutional Analysis website (see Common Data Set).

Health and Safety

Campus Safety and Security

Department of Public Safety
102 Hubbard Building
Non-Emergency Calls: (810) 762-3335
Fax: (810) 237-6511

The Department of Public Safety (DPS) is a professional, full-service law enforcement agency with responsibility for maintaining a safe environment on the properties of the University of Michigan-Flint.  Information on DPS services including safety tips, crime statistics, parking, and emergency preparedness may be found at:

Vaccination Policies

Information on University of Michigan-Flint vaccination policies may be found at:

Contact Information for Admitting Offices and Schools/Colleges

Admitting Offices

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
245 University Pavilion
(810) 762-3300
Fax: (810) 762-3272
Office of Graduate Admissions
251 Thompson Library
(810) 762-3171
Fax: (810) 766-6789
International Admissions
219 University Center
(810) 762-0867
Fax: (810) 762-0006


To locate the contact information for your school or college, visit the Academic Programs page.

The University of Michigan-Flint Guide to Consumer Information is produced by:
University of Michigan-Flint Office of Financial Aid
303 East Kearsley Street, 277 University Pavilion
Flint, MI 48502-1950
(810) 762-3444
Fax: (810) 766-6757

Click here for information on applying to graduate & professional programs.

The Regents of the University

Click here for the most up to date information for the Regents of the University.


Nondiscrimination Policy Statement

The University of Michigan, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action.  The University of Michigan is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.  Inquiries or complaints may be addressed to the Senior Director for Institutional Equity, and Title IX/Section 504/ADA Coordinator, Office of Institutional Equity, 2072 Administrative Services Building, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1432, 734-763-0235, TTY 734-647-1388.  For other University of Michigan information call 734-764-1817.

Complaint Process

The University encourages students and prospective students to address complaints relating to the institution’s policies and consumer protection issues first with personnel in the office, department, school, or college that led to the complaint alleged.  If needed, senior University administrators may also become involved to help resolve complaints.

Learn more about the complaint process.

Subject to Change

Because of the nature of federal, state, and institutional guidelines affecting financial aid programs, the information contained in this website is subject to change.